Lori Joy Smith: Illustration & Art

Wax Paper Leaf Book

Posted on | October 13, 2009 | 11 Comments

scaredycat

We went for a “nature walk” the other day. We came home with such a lovely collection of leaves I wanted to somehow extend their lifespan. I remember having a wonderful afternoon with my mom when I was about Sosi’s age, pressing leaves between wax paper.  I’ve always had it in the back of mind as something I wanted to do with my kids.

While I was busy ironing the pages, I handed Sosi the much coveted Sharpie marker and asked that she could decorate the finished pages. I was so happy to see that she automatically drew faces of the leaves. I was planning for us to look up all the different types of leaves and label them all. I like her idea much better.

Click here for  an illustrated downloadable PDF I made of instructions on how to make your very own Wax Paper Leaf Booklet!

cutie

Comments

11 Responses to “Wax Paper Leaf Book”

1. sarah n.
    October 13th, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

this book is so awesome!! a scaredy cat leaf, what? i love it!!

2. Ciara
    October 14th, 2009 @ 3:59 am

Thanks for posting this. That’s my Christmas presents for everyone’s children sorted. I can’t wait to collect autumn leaves and create a story for them. Cheers

3. mya kraft
    October 14th, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

Another cool rendition of the above(which I too have fond memories of doing with my mom) is that you can take an assortment of crayons, shave them up using either a pencil sharpener or cheese grater, and sprinkle the colourful crayon bits in between your wax paper (and leaves) and then iron away. The result is a really neat, multi-coloured, almost tied-died effect to the wax paper. Very pretty.

Mya

4. Lori
    October 14th, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

glad you like it sarah! the mind of a 4 year old is a fascinating thing. :)

ciara, what a great idea. i think these would make lovely gifts.

thanks so much for the crayon idea mya, i will have to try that next! :)

5. Tweets that mention Wax Paper Leaf Book : Lori Joy Smith: Illustration & Art -- Topsy.com
    October 14th, 2009 @ 10:54 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Annemarie TK and tamarhay, Lusso. Lusso said: Great idea! RT @yoyomama_van & @emiramears: Autumn activity to do with young ones tnx to Lori Joy Smith: Make a leaf book http://ow.ly/uoDc [...]

6. t
    October 18th, 2009 @ 2:08 am

i can’t believe how well she writes for her age! nice work sosi!

7. Shael
    October 20th, 2009 @ 12:12 pm

thank-you Lori! Ophelia and I will enjoy doing this project together

8. misako mimoko
    October 20th, 2009 @ 6:01 pm

thanks for this great tutorial!

9. Vanessa
    October 22nd, 2009 @ 9:50 am

Thanks for the great idea, we have a lot of leaves in the yard :)

10. caralyn
    October 22nd, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

hi lori,

glad to see you are up and running again… cute project & i love the balloon birthday cards! hope you are all well – we are finally reaching the end of our 2 year marathon… yikes! hi to p & s (& i).

caralyn

11. Heather @ Life Gluten Free
    November 1st, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

What a cute idea! Must try!